Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Institutional Racism Is Dead… Long Live Equality!

Today Barack Obama is sworn in as the next president of the United States of America. And with this, we must declare institutional racism dead.

Sure, there’s still racism that exists. Blacks that hate whites and Hispanics, Hispanics that hate blacks, whites that hate non-whites. But when it comes to our institutional public life, we must recognize its dead.

There are non-white city council members, school superintendants, mayors, governors, representatives, senators, business leaders, and now a US president.

So, all the institutional racism ambulance chasers (the so-called “Reverend” Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and their ilk), please go find a real job and leave us alone.

One last thing on this subject. Am I the only one that sees the massive mixed message about race and Barack Obama?

I was rasied by my parents and the church to look beyond a person’s skin color- that we are all God’s children and loved by Him and deserving of respect and kindness from all. So, growing up and now in adulthood I really don’t give a rat’s behind about skin color. I take to heart Rev. King’s words: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

And so I do, or at least try hard to do just that. And yet this political season is all about race. And the celebrations are all about skin color. “Finally, for the first time, a black president.”

I’m confused. Totally.

0 comments: