Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I’m Alive

The rumors of my death, and that of my blog, are greatly exaggerated.

To say I have been busy just does not do justice to my inability to spend even one moment writing. I haven’t even visited my blog or any other blog, much less posted anything, in almost 2 months. I guess not much has changed recently- the only reason I am posting today is because of a few comments and several emails from people that seem to enjoy reading my stories and meandering thoughts. They are asking if I am ok, alive, still going to keep the blog going.

I am, I am, and I will.

There is an old saying and a true one- that a person makes time for the things most important to them. When I started this blog, it was very important to me. I was going through a mini mid-life crisis. I had made a major career change, left an amazing job and a great group of staff and peers to strike out on my own. After a year of doing so and finding little success, this blog was a much needed outlet to take my mind off work (and the lack thereof).

When I think about my life, in light of that old saying, it’s a bit uncomfortable. Why have I not ventured out on a missions trip? Why don’t we play more family board games? Why do we not take more weekend family trips? Why don’t we go camping? Why don’t we seem to have time to do more things together?

A person makes time for the things most important to them. I seem to be able to get most all my work done. And there is the painful insight.

So, I am trying to make some time again….even if it’s just a few minutes…to jot down my thoughts here. Not for anyone really other than myself and my family, but if someone else gets any enjoyment or anything of value in the mix that’s good. I started out with this blog to create an electronic journal- something my kids, and possibly their kids, will be able to read through and learn from. This collection of a few hundred posts and about half a million words is far more than I have ever been able to read from my parents, grandparents, or anyone else in my family. How amazing is that? What would I give to be able to read the stories and thoughts from my precious grandmother Dorothy or her husband James? Or grandma Astrid? A goodly amount, that’s for sure.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I missed you.

Liza on Maui said...

Glad t read you're still alive. I actually posted "MISSING" list on my blog for bloggers missing in action and you were one of them. I guess I can scratch your name our now :)

Anonymous said...

Huzzah! He's back!
Glad you are okay and back online :)

DigitalRich said...

As Sally Field once said "“I can't deny the fact that you like me! You like me!”

Thanks.

DigitalRich