Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Piling On

The blogosphere is alight with the scathing comments made recently about the New York Times and it's inarguable left slant and unabashed support of one political party and candidate over another under the cover of journalism.

Quite frankly, since about 2003 I can't imagine anyone wanting to wait 24 hours to read old out of date news from a giant hunk of paper that bleeds black toner all over one's fingers, and often arrives soaking wet from rain or dew.

I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon and jot a quick note to Bill Keller, executive editor of the NYT. Here’s my message:
--------------------------------------------------
From: DigitalRich
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 9:06 PM
To: Bill Keller executive-editor@nytimes.com
Subject: Oldsmobile

Dear Mr. Bill Keller;

I have never been a subscriber to your paper, though I have bought single issues in the past while in the city. I will no longer, and felt compelled to write and give you my opinion.

The NY Times is my father’s Oldsmobile. I can not for the life of me figure out why anyone would buy your paper when it is just as easy to read left and right slanted opinion paraded as news on sites like Huffington, Daily KOS, Hot Air and Newsbusters. It is so much easier, faster, and more comprehensive (and unfiltered) to get news and commentary online and through other electronic media. I fear your days (perhaps hours) are numbered.

If the NY Times had balanced and thoughtful news and commentary that freshly and fairly presented all sides it might be a compelling enough read that the paper would not be bleeding subscribers and advertisers like an Ebola victim. As it is, in my opinion your paper is a disgrace and embarrassment.

Then again, as I’m not a subscriber, you probably shouldn’t be worried or focused on my opinion. It’s just that you don’t seem to care about the views and opinions of the tens of thousands of people that have abandoned the NYTimes either.

I wish you well in your next endeavor.







0 comments: