Sunday, September 16, 2007

Church Art

I’m a doodler. I do my best thinking, my best pondering and decision making when I’m doodling. Or rather, when I am thinking deeply and making big decisions, I doodle. I guess that would be more accurate.

One of the places I end up doodling the most is at church.

I am totally engaged in what my pastor is saying, and process it all better while drawing meaningless shapes on a piece of paper. Much more so then when I just watch him (or anyone speaking). Not sure why- it just works that way.

I thought I would share with you my doodling masterpiece that has been a work in progress for several months. I collect the sermon notes from each week, fold them, and put a rubber band around them. Earlier this year I doodled on a bulletin and liked the way it looked, and so folded it around the other sermon notes and it took on a life of it’s own as a book cover of sorts. Since then the doodling on that cover has expanded to occupy almost the entire surface on both sides, and it also bears witness to the different weeks at church when I had different pen ink colors.











0 comments: