Friday, October 06, 2006

Quotes Collection 6

A collection of some of my favorite quotes:


Unless you enter the tiger’s den, you cannot take the cubs.
-Japanese proverb

About the time we can make both ends meet, somebody moves the ends.
-Herbert Hoover

Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change.
-Frank Lloyd Wright

I’m not arrogant. I just believe there’s no human problem that couldn’t be solved – if people would simply do as I tell them.
-Donald Regan

I swing big, with everything I’ve got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can.
-Babe Ruth

Begin somewhere; you cannot build a reputation on what you intend to do.
-Liz Smith

You’ve got to have an atmosphere where people can make mistakes. If we’re not making mistakes we’re not going anywhere.
-Gordon Forward

Nothing is more humiliating than to see idiots succeed in enterprises we have failed in.
-Gustave Flaubert

S.A.V. -- Screw Around Vigorously. Try something. How are you going to figure out if the Internet is going to cannibalize your sales unless you try selling stuff on the Internet?
- Tom Peters, management guru and author

How many California residents hold conventional, full-time, 40-hour-a-week jobs? One-third. Hmmm ... has California ever led the nation in any trend before?
- Dan Pink, contributing editor, Fast Company and author, Free Agent Nation

People don't leave companies, they leave leaders.
-Richard Leider, founding partner, the Inventure Group

During a crisis, my third command was always to put on the kettle. In the midst of chaos, no leader can deal with a crew of 18 upset people. By demanding cups of tea for the whole crew, I got one person out of my hair, and I introduced a normalizing factor into a crisis situation. If the skipper wants a cup of tea, it can't be that bad.
-Simon Walker, managing director, Challenge Business

Ideas are capital. The rest is just money.
-advertisement for Deutsche Bank

Don't assume that your people want a promotion. Talk to them, get to know them, ask them what they hope to achieve at work. If your guru programmer won't thrive as a manager, don't promote him up the ladder. Instead, make a hero out of him. Put him on a pedestal and make him a superstar that other employees can admire.
-Debora Wilson, president and CEO of weather.com

When your oven is jammed and your bread is burning -- that is when you will learn to use an oven. People can't learn in a classroom. True learning occurs 'just in time.'
-Tom McMakin, COO, Great Harvest Bread Co.






Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

0 comments: