Sunday, December 03, 2006

No Cruising Zone

Christmas season is officially underway in our home. I know for sure because yesterday I went to the mall. That only happens once a year.

We made a family day of it and after dropping off our girl A for a birthday party at Build-a-Bear, walked the length and width of Cool Springs Galleria’s two levels, grabbing lunch in the food court (ugh).

After making a few purchases, and picking up A from the party, we headed to the car. Our daughter L wanted to go back to JCPenney’s to buy a shirt she really liked. I asked her why she hadn’t bought it when she saw it, and it turns out Michelle is training her in proper shopping etiquette.

“If you see something you really like, and you really want it, and can afford it- don’t buy it. Keep shopping because somewhere else you may chance upon something better, or at least the same thing at a lower price.”

My philosophy is different- it ends in BUY IT.

We decided to drop Michelle and L off at Penneys while the rest of the family stayed in the car as the store was on the other side of the mall. After dropping them off, and realizing there was not a single parking space anywhere to be seen, we did the only thing we could do: Turn up the radio, drive up, down and around the parking lot killing time, glance to see if the ladies had emerged from Hades, Repeat.

By doing so I was able to observe a human condition I have labeled PSDS- Parking Space Deficit Syndrome.

I was stuck behind one older lady driving down a long aisle, literally going 2mph as she scanned her surroundings for the tell-tale signs of reverse lights, even though no one was walking to their car in our aisle. By the time we got to the end of the lane there were at least 10 cars behind me.

Another guy was exchanging words with a driver as he stood guard over an open space blocking it with his body. From what I could hear as we slowly passed, it seems he was with his buddy in the next aisle and saw the space open, jumped out and crossed over to lay claim until his friend got there.

At one point we were cruising behind another car down an aisle when I saw a hidden open space (the ones tucked behind Ford Excursions you can never see until you pass them). The lady in the car ahead passed it before she saw it, hit her breaks, realized she lost it to me and threw her hands up in frustration, starting to move forward again. She was amazed when I flashed my lights at her, called her back, and reversed 20 feet to give her the space. She looked like she was going to cry. I think I made her day.






Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

0 comments: