Sunday, February 25, 2007

Power-using, Multitasking & Disaster

This morning I hit the absolute limit of my PC. I was simultaneously rendering a video clip for a client, scanning old pictures, listening to music on Rhapsody, uploading images to a website, running three monitors, syncing my Blackberry, transferring files from my network to my hard drive and typing up a post for today’s DigitalRichDaily.

The system crashed. Crashed hard. The Blue Screen Of Death kind of crash and burn. I lost all the data that was in open files, and corrupted 2 programs that had to be reinstalled. Why am I telling you this? Because I have no desire to try to reconstruct and rewrite the post I was writing and lost. I learned my lesson. Again.





Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

4 comments:

Liza on Maui said...

I am assuming (hoping) you have a back-up of all files except for the ones you're working on... you do, right?

Anonymous said...

ARgh! I feel for you. My mom's PC crashed and we hadn't had any backups. Luckily, we were able to get the PC sorta kinda up and running long enough to burn backups.

Made me realize that hey...*I* need to get an external backup drive or something. I backup my stuff but there can be a gap when things get busy and things do tend to get busy.

Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a lesson here. Consider:

"I must read or do something all the time." - Digital Rich

"This great misfortune - to be incapable of solitude." - Jean de La Bruyère

Solitude is scarcely inhabitable by one who lacks peace in his own heart.

DigitalRich said...

Anonymous-

Solitude is not my problem. I inhabit it often, as well as having peace. What I dont have is a super-computer.

DigitalRich