Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Passing

I didn’t know her very well, but that didn’t stop her from loving on me the few times I was able to be with her. Growing up, she was always far away from where I was- like most family.

My father was in the Air Force so we were in far-flung places.

She had a mystique about her… had the poise and grace of earlier times. She reminded me of my grandfather, mostly it’s the eyes. She was my Great Aunt Lorraine.

Aunt Lorraine passed away on February 21st, 2007, in Arlington, Virginia. She was born on February 5th, 1924 in Brooklyn NY, and was the youngest daughter of Dominique and Thomas, my great-grandparents. She lived in Queensbury, New York for most of her years, was the widow of James , and was also predeceased by her sisters, Anita and Virginia, and two brothers, Tony (my grandfather) and Richard.

Before moving to Queensbury, Lorraine lived in North Carolina and also in Lake Placid, New York. Professionally, she was a talented Decorator/Consultant and also a Buyer, in both the clothing and furniture industries, and for a short time owned her own design consulting firm “A Touch of Class.” That was a very appropriate name for her.

For fun, Lorraine danced, golfed and traveled. After her passing, the family received calls from friends expressing sorrow from Italy, Switzerland, other parts of Europe, Canada and as far away as Saudi Arabia. She was a beautiful and truly elegant woman.

I wish I knew her well enough to have written all this myself. Unfortunately I didn’t, and had to pull most of Aunt Lorraine's personal information from a note from family. Shockingly I learned from this note the names of my great-grandparents. I didn’t know before I read this. My parents or grandparents had probably told me years ago, but if so, I had forgotten.

It is amazing, really, how modern life pulls us away from a family center. The educational and economic opportunities are so many, and this country is so large, that many have lost, or never had, a hometown- a place where your family is rooted, and where they stay in touch, and gather for special times, good and bad.

I hope to be building that here, where Michelle and I are now.







Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

0 comments: