Thursday, March 08, 2007

You Don’t Want To What?

“I said, I don’t want to be infaptized.” Said our cute little five year old R. She had a frightened look on her face, and wanted to make sure her concern was aired. It came the day after our family had a fun long conversation around the dinner table about whether being baptized was a necessary step to be taken to enter into Heaven.

It was a great time- fun arguing, good natured debate, mainly between Michelle and I, with our 4 kids listening intently and interjecting once in awhile with some bit of information they had gleaned from the bible or Sunday school.

I happened to have lunch today with my pastor- first time ever. It was cool. It was a great casual conversation, devoid of any deep theological discussion. It was a time of just getting to know each other. I did ask him though, at the end of our meal, to help settle the question for our family. He asked me if when I wasn't wear my wedding ring would I still be married. “Yes” I responded. “Exactly.” He explained that my wedding ring is an outward statement, an obedience to my bond and word. If I don’t wear it on a day, or any day, I am still committed to my wife, and I am still married. It’s the same way with baptism. The act of baptism is an outward sign of our following of, and obedience to, Jesus Christ.

So, we asked R why she didn’t want to be infaptized. She said having someone else make her go underwater was way too scary.






Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

0 comments: