Friday, June 08, 2007

Dominoes

It all started innocent enough. Using relationships from my former job at EMI I made a call requesting help from a nice and lovely lady that used to work for me. I asked her if she could send a message out to some retailers regarding a client of mine- a message that was also- in my opinion- in the interest of my former employer.

Turned out to be a bit of a mistake.

I got a call tonight from the head of the division, a nice man that used to work for me, that took me to task for the incident. Turns out it ticked several people off, and it appeared to some that I had taken advantage of my relationships there to slide something by without normal review and approval processes.

A new policy has been instituted because of me. Now that I think about it, that's not too unusual.

I feel horrible, had no ill intent, and have sent a couple apology notes around to those affected. Ive been out of corporate life a year and a half now, and forgot how political each word and breath can be in business life. I am again disabused of any feelings I might have that I made the wrong decision to leave it.






Click here if you would like to subscribe to the DigitalRichDaily
E-mail update. Place 'subscribe' in the subject line.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I can only imagine...

Tell GB I said, "hi." ;-)

Christa said...

Bleck. Yeah, if you got out never look back! hypersensitivity, leading to small tiffs, leading to much gossip - I won't miss it when I'm gone either.

Once, I hit a car in our neighborhood when it backed out in front of me. They changed the speed limit because of me after that - and to this day I drive by the 25 mile-per-hour sign and smile. Be proud! Your daring action (in corporate world, I'm not saying it's earth-shaking where sane people live) has caused Policy!

:)

Liza on Maui said...

we know you're just wanting to help.... corporate world is tough...